Computer & Internet Use
McBride & District Public Library considers the Internet to be one of the richest information resources available. However, unlike most other information available at the Library, it is not selected by professional staff and the Library has no control over the contents. While valuable in many ways, the Internet poses particular problems in the unorganized, often unsubstantiated and frequently inaccurate nature of its material. Difficulties exist regarding the range of material available, particularly that inappropriate for children or classed as hate literature or pornography. The McBride & District Public Library does not monitor and has no control over the information accessed through the Internet and cannot be held responsible for any aspect on the Internet’s content.
Since workstations are in a public place, content and images may be viewed by others, including children. The privacy of users cannot be guaranteed by the Library and users must conduct themselves accordingly.
The Library does not guarantee the mechanical functions of this service will be uninterrupted or that this service will meet any specific requirements of the users. The Library will not be liable for any damages of any kind sustained or incurred in connection with the use or inability to use the Internet service.
All patrons, or in the case of underage children, their parents or guardians, must sign a disclaimer holding the Library free from any liability connected in any way with Internet access on Library equipment.
Library staff can help with basic computer use – we cannot provide information or assistance on technical matters. Due to staff and/or time constraints, Internet-trained staff may not always be available. Appointments should be made if instruction is required.
Regulations for Internet Workstations
1. Internet access is available to the general public. Library membership is not required. When signing up to use the Internet for the first time patrons are required to read these policy rules, sign and date the Limitation of Liability and, in the case of parents/guardians, fill out the permission form.
2. Our printers are operated on a cost-recovery basis. The charges for use are $0.25/page for black and white printing and $0.50/page for colour printing. All fees are payable in advance.
3. Please be on time for equipment use. Latecomers (5 minutes or more) will lose their turn.
4. Sessions are limited to ½ an hour when others are waiting.
5. No more than three people are allowed at the computer at one time, our space is limited.
6. Children 14 years of age or younger require a signed permission slip, and adult (19 years of age or older) supervision.
7. Public e-mail accounts are not available through the library. No e-mail will be sent or received using the McBride Library’s e-mail address.
8. No personal disks may be used. Virus-free disks may be purchased from the Library at a cost $1.00 per disk. These may not be brought back for use on library machines once they have been removed from the building.
9. To prevent the spread of computer viruses you may not use your own software programs on Library computers.
10. No user will change settings or programs on the Public Access Computers.
11. No workstation will be used for illegal, actionable or criminal purposes.
Misuse of the computer or Internet access will result in a loss of computer privileges. The Library reserves the right to revoke computer privileges.